03 - Shocking Result

>> January 31,  2022 | Day 3 | PJS

To my surprise I was the first picked-up to go for (cardiac)  Catheterization. The nurses rolled me to the theatre at 8.00 am. It was freezing cold especially during the scrubbing. At the end of the session, cardiologist Dr Alan Fong indicated to me something was quite serious. He was saying something like 'severe 3 vessel coronary artery disease..'

Around 10.00 am - The Dr Chung came and convey the result that I was having 3 blockages with 99% severity and recommended the Bypass surgery, not stent! Both news came like bricks falling on my head. 

3.00 pm - I was wheeled for Echo (Echocardiogram) to evaluate the LV function of my heart. The result was- my heart was still normal and  strong. I didn't feel anything during the procedure except feeling of coolness from the gel. Thanks to SMAO - David Manggie.

4.00 pm- I gotten sick for the reason I did not know. The only reason I could imagine was  the 'bad news' after learning the severity of my blockages and anxiety about pending 'open heart' surgery. Earlier we were told my surgery will be in 3 or 4 days time. 

Cardiologist Dr Nurul Hafizah came in the afternoon and clarify that the operation was long way down the road in view of the long queue. According to her the earliest will be in the middle of August. 

Not until I heard the fire-crakers cracking the night, I realise the next day was CNY. The whole nite my slept was intermittently interrupted.

Within 48 hours my Body Mass Index (BMI) dropped by 2 kgs from initially 93. Thanks for the tasteless food provided by matron Pn Nor Azlin ..hehehe

Footnotes:-

  1. Bypass surgery redirects blood around a section of a blocked or partially blocked artery in your heart. The procedure involves taking a healthy blood vessel from your leg, arm or chest and connecting it below and above the blocked arteries in our heart
  2. An echocardiogram is a test that uses ultrasound to show how your heart muscle and valves are working. The sound waves make moving pictures of your heart so your doctor can get a good look at its size and shape. You might hear them call it “echo” for short.

0 comments: