The Day Everything Changed

@Emergency Ward

I was at the edge of my seat. I did not know what would happen next. With my fingers crossed, the anticipation was so intense that I felt I could smell it, taste it, and touch it.

I am talking about my first experience in an Emergency Room. The date was 29 January 2022 — a day that was supposed to be simple and joyful, as I had planned to buy a birthday cake for my wife.

The Morning

8.00 a.m.
Mama rushed me to Pusat Jantung Samarahan (PJS) after I experienced shortness of breath while taking my morning shower. Fortunately, my breathing improved while we were on our way to Samarahan.

8.30 a.m.
I was admitted to the Emergency Department, where strict COVID-19 standard operating procedures (SOPs) were still in place.

Over the next several hours, I underwent no fewer than four Electrocardiogram (ECG) tests, together with continuous monitoring of my heart rate, pulse rate (PR), and oxygen saturation (SpO₂).

The doctors and medical officers repeatedly asked the same questions:

  1. Is there any history of heart disease in your family?

  2. Do you smoke?

  3. Do you consume alcohol?

  4. Do you have diabetes?

4.00 p.m.
I was moved to Room 520 in the Acute Ward for closer observation.

6.00 p.m.
I was later transferred to Room 518, a normal ward.

Instead of celebrating her birthday at home, Mama spent the night beside me in the hospital. It was, in fact, her second birthday spent in a hospital setting. Two years earlier, she had stayed at Subang Hospital while accompanying our daughter, Nadia.

Earlier that same morning, Haji Bob and I had enjoyed breakfast at Bombay Masala, Taman Sukma. Much of our conversation revolved around the new floating mosque we had constructed in Kampung Punang.

Little did I know that, by the end of that day, my life would begin to take a different path.

Looking Back

Reflecting on the weeks leading up to that day, perhaps there had been signs all along.

6–20 December 2021

During the State Election campaign in Lawas, I began experiencing mild symptoms that, in hindsight, may have been related to my heart. Chest discomfort often appeared at night, particularly after heavy dinners. Staying alone in a hotel room made the experience unsettling, and eventually I asked my brother to accompany me.

1 January 2022

I joined the Golf Ballsweep Tournament and even managed to win the Nett Event.

6 January 2022

I received my COVID-19 booster vaccination at Normah Medical Centre.

10 January 2022

I underwent home quarantine as a close contact case under KKM Serial No. 253660.

16 January 2022

I participated in the PGABS Monthly Leg 1 Tournament. Although I experienced intermittent shortness of breath, I was still able to complete the round.

22 January 2022

I played another friendly round of golf but was unable to finish the game. That would become my last game before seeking medical attention.

24 January 2022

I visited Klinik Kesihatan Petra Jaya, where Dr. Neelanastassia Yusuf identified a condition that required further investigation at PJS. An appointment was arranged for 24 March 2022.

However, four days later, my journey took an unexpected turn.

And so began a new chapter in my life.



Footnotes:

HEART ATTACK occurs when the flow of blood to the heart is severely reduced or blocked. The blockage is usually due to a buildup of fat, cholesterol and other substances in the heart (coronary) arteries. The fatty, cholesterol-containing deposits are called plaques. The process of plaque buildup is called atherosclerosis.

ECG, small electrodes are put on your arms, legs and chest to record the electrical signals produced by your heart.

 Pulse oximetry is a test used to measure the oxygen level (oxygen saturation) of the blood.


Around 10 am at Emergency ward



Room 520 - Acute Ward for 2 hours

0 comments: